Placement exams: A must before orientation

Orientation is here! Before you come to campus, the CSE Academic Advising team wants to remind you to have your placement exams completed. We've provided answers to the most commonly asked questions about placement exams.
Can you believe that orientation is here already? We hope you are as excited as we are!

Before you arrive on campus, the CSE Academic Advising team wants to remind you to have your placement exams completed.

To help you out, we've provided answers to a few of the most commonly asked questions about placement exams.

Who needs to take the placement exams?
All incoming CSE freshman must take the placement exams.

How do I take the placement exams?
You can access your exams through the New Student Checklist. The tests are online and timed.

What exams do I need to take?
All incoming CSE freshman must take the calculus and chemistry tests. These will be assigned to you on your New Student Checklist.

Why do the exams matter?
The exams are designed to assess your readiness for the rigor of coursework at the University of Minnesota. Knowing where you stand will inform your registration choices.

Can I retake the exams if I don't do well?
No. Therefore, it's very important that you take the tests seriously. A half-hearted attempt could land you in a course well below your ability level.

When will I know my placement?
On your orientation date, you and your advisor will discuss your scores and how they will influence your registration.

Hopefully this has provided you with some additional insight about the placement exams. We look forward to seeing you on campus soon!